Archives for July 2016
The currently used food guide pyramid is still suggesting that the biggest share of daily consumed food should be grains, namely food which is high in starches and carbohydrates. However, the increasing number of people suffering from obesity, diabetes and cancer is rather suggesting to reduce grains and instead have non-starchy vegetables as the main food intake. What has been a blessing over thousands of years, basically from around 6,000 BC until the end of the 20th Century, seems to become a threat to health now. Main reasons might be that for the past thousands of years, people were “born to move”. All activities, from farming to building temples, involved enormous physical effort. Even during the 20th Century, the share of people involved in jobs with physical movements was much higher compared to now in the 21th Century. The same is true for children: While kids would still walk or ride their bikes to and from school and leisure activities 20 years ago, they are now taken by car from door to door. Recently increasingly, everybody is sitting in front of computers, either for work or for leisure or both. The consequence is that we’re all eating far too much energy through grain intake compared to what we burn.
At the same time, the grains are more and more refined, hence containing even more sugars and less minerals and dietary fiber, hence adding to the fact of overfeeding energy.
In addition, another aspect comes in: Grains, especially refined grains, have the effect of forming acidity in our bodies. Studies are meanwhile suggesting that cancer cells are much more likely to develop in an acidic environment. Food that acts alkaline in our bodies are almost all vegetables and fruits.
Considering obesity, diabetes and cancer, adults might be well advised to eat 60-70% of non-starchy vegetables and divide the remaining 40-30% on shares of meat and starches. Children might still need a bigger share of grains due to their need to grow. Also, children would naturally run and play after food-intake while adults would continue to sit and chat over a cup of coffee…
Aside from reducing grains and starches another essential aspect to keep our bodies healthy is daily sport. This will not only burn any surplus of energy but also help maintaining a good circulation system and other benefits. We’re born to move.
The Paleolithic Age is a prehistoric period of human history that extends from the earliest known use of stone tools 2.6 million years ago to the end of the Pleistocene around 8,000 BC.
The paleo diet or stone-age diet is based mainly on foods presumed to be available to paleolithic humans. During the 2.6 million year long Paleolithic era, the highly variable climate and worldwide spread of human population meant that humans were, by necessity, nutritionally adaptable. In contrast, supporters of the diet assume that human digestion has remained essentially unchanged over time. The diet typically includes vegetables, fruits, nuts, roots, meat, and organ meats while excluding foods such as dairy products, grains, sugar, legumes, processed oils, salt, and alcohol or coffee. A Paleo lifestyle and ideology have developed around the diet. The Paleo diet is promoted as a way of improving health. Limited data exists on the metabolic effects on humans eating the diet, though the available data suggest following this diet may lead to improvements in terms of body composition and metabolic effects as compared to the typical Western diet. The diet is based on avoiding not just modern processed foods, but rather the foods that humans began eating after the Neolithic Revolution when humans transitioned from hunter-gatherer lifestyles to settled agriculture.